Thursday, January 26, 2012

Early Childhood Memories

Happy Childhood Memories

Everyone has some childhood memories. Some said we can remember events that happened from the early tender age of 5. I do not know much of such scientific research but I do remember the times I was in a popular playschool, Yu Der Kindergarden, in Ampang.

The principal of the school was a Shanghainese lady, if I am not mistaken. Sha sen sei /teacher was a mannish kind of woman though she wore a qi pao or cheongsam daily. Large round bright eyes and kindly smile, with neatly combed straight short hair. A bit on the heavy side, she was well loved by everyone. I am amazed that I remember these little details as I type, some things that impacted our lives would always be buried somewhere deep in our minds.

My mother used to accompany me to school. I had a little dark green plastic drawstring bag where every child has to bring daily.

Little Gourmets in the Making

It would be most disappointing if we forgot to bring that to school. That little bag contained our little plate, bowl and cutlery. We looked forward to snack time. I fondly remember the delicious sweet red bean porridge and black pulut or glutinous bubur. I loved the fragrant wheat porridge with thick coconut milk and sugar and kueh lapis or serimuka etc for tea. Guess our eating adventure started very early. No complaints, Alhamdulillah! I also remembered that we were also ordered to take a short nap daily.

Productive Mothers

Mothers would sit outside the classrooms, in a group doing all sorts of beautiful handicraft together.These ladies were so enthusiastic that they would all pursue the latest crafting trends. One day it would be hand embroidery, another day it would be embroidering beaded slippers and another week would be kinitting or crochet. They learned, they shared , laughed and cried together. Women bonding.

She became very good at dressmaking class at Singer's. I was the only girl in the family and I got to wear all the lovely embroidered dresses. I could not even keep up with the amount she churned out all the time.

Early Introduction to Crafty Life

Guess that was when my interest in crafts and clothes started. Always used to see mom creating something lovely.Grew up in a home where people still knew how to use their heart and hands for creating beautiful items for home and family. Today many people only know how to buy, buy, buy without a sense of history and appreciating the arts. What a shame and waste!

I do feel blessed to be able to enjoy lovely clothes, delicious home cooking and a lot of tender loving care under my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment